There are stacks of EMSP (Email Marketing Service Provider) in the internet world and very few exist in competition. There is a constant rivalry between those service providers. The two most used email process providers are ConvertKit and MailChimp. These are the two biggest rivals who fight for the top ranks that are ConvertKit vs MailChimp.
Whats is ConverKit?
ConvertKit is an email marketing service provider that has a special focus on various bloggers and other businesses. Nathan Barry started ConvertKit in the year 2015. For some time, it was re-branded to SEVA, until they reverted to ConvertKit. One of the most interesting things about ConvertKit is how transparent Nathan is about the entire way of taking ConvertKit from nothing to making $30k a month in the year 2015.
Currently, in 2019, they have more than 22,000 active customers and doing over $1.4 million in monthly recurring revenue. The prices vary as per your selection. It depends completely upon your number of subscribers. The prices will be $29, $49, $79 for 1k, 3k, and 5k subscribers respectively. It is a high ranking platform in today’s time rating around 4.6/5.0.
History of Convertkit
All the big companies have pasts, right? So does the ConvertKit. Different important notable historic moments of Convertkit are as follows: –
- The first book was launched in front of 798 subscribers and earned over $12,000+ in 24 hours. This was the starting of his career. The book was hosted on MailChimp.
- The ConvertKit we know today was once called The web App challenge.
- Before starting ConvertKit, Nathan the CEO used to work as an app developer for ios and he wrote 2 books as well named The app designing handbook and Designing web application.
- A time came when he went into complete loss but he didn’t lose hope and shut down all the other business to Give full time to ConvertKit.
- Because of MailChimp, he made the platform we know today, ConvertKit.
Whats is MailChimp?
MailChimp is an online EMail marketing company. This is a client chosen service because of its simplicity and cost-effective pricing. It helps you to send an attractive template which you can edit according to your needs and provide it to the valuable customers. Unfortunately, they have not innovated much and as a result, have missed out on an opportunity to become an Engagement Service Provider.
MailChimp was started in 2011 by Ben Chestnut. It automates the process of email sending saves your lot of time. MailChimp has 4 different packages for different types of people. It got Free, Essential, Standard and Premium having prices $0, $9.99, $14.99, $299.00 respectively.
History of MailChimp?
The best notable thing is MailChimp is free with the basic plan still they are one of the biggest email marketing service providers in the world. Some points related to the history of MailChimp are as follows: –
- Initially, the founders were not even trying to make a platform so big we know today. They were simply trying to help their customers to get the satisfactory services they deserved.
- In 2007, the MailChimp became the primary work of Ben Chestnut and Kurzius. They shut down all the ongoing web designing operations to focus on this.
- They’ve put a lot of thought into nailing down their voice and tone and set a lot of guidelines for how their brand assets should be used.
- The MailChimp was made out of failed codes of digital greeting cards. The codes were written by Ben for a project but it failed.
- MailChimp was graded as No. 7 by the Forbes cloud list in 2016.
How do Convertkit and Mailchimp Works
These both ConvertKit vs MailChimp are web-based Email marketing software which enables you to do several jobs namely:-
- It design marketing email messages.
- It builds and organizes lists of recipient email addresses.
- Also, send your finished email messages to the recipients in the lists.
- Review several people who opened a message.
People find it a lot easier to use this web-based software than sending all the messages manually. As per the customers, ConvertKit vs MailChimp is more convenient and time-saving. This type of service is used for creating email, newsletters or advertisements. Often by entering their email address into a form on your website, people accept to receive the material they require.
What is the difference between ConvertKit and MailChimp?
- ConvertKit believes in word-based work and not that much on a photo or image-based works. However, MailChimp helps their clients with nice looking templates and stickers which help them with better emails and advertisements.
- First of all, the MailChimp is free as well as paid. In the meantime, the ConvertKit charges around 29$/ month for its service and haven’t a free service.
- MailChimp is more like a handwritten text than a computer organized message which helps the daily users better.
- ConvertKit is somewhat a subscriber-based platform whereas MailChimp is a list based provider. MailChimp works for the people who are on their list. However, ConvertKit works for the people who subscribe to it. Although both are the same but technically these are slightly different.
- To the left, MailChimp you have a limitation of around 24000 emails per month or 2 thousand emails per day. It would limit your subscribers as well that is 2000 subscribers in one account though it is for a free account. To the right, ConvertKit is costly but it doesn’t put any limit on you that is you can have as many subscribers as you want. Here are the pricing plans of ConvertKit. You will also get easy features with $$ paid. No waste of money.
- ConvertKit email marketing is something that a professional would love to use as it tracks the exact interest and purchase of a client. It keeps tracks and records a large number of clients while MailChimp can’t. MailChimp won’t give value to the big lists as it doesn’t have proper arrangements for that.
- MailChimp gives you several quality offers which ConvertKit doesn’t give to you like Ready-to-Use Campaign Templates, Product Recommendations, etc.
- Likewise, ConvertKit also provides certain services that MailChimp can’t namely email marketing features, Increase conversions with automated emails, etc.
- The ConvertKit is a clear winner in the fight with MailChimp as ConvertKit have so many categories and sub-categories including excessively high-quality output.
- MailChimp is easy and convenient to use in comparison to ConvertKit.
Special notes about MailChimp
Although the free plan of MailChimp makes it the best choice. But there are still many reasons which keep it behind others.
Here are some of the key Disadvantages of MailChimp-
- MailChimp has different terms as compared to others. While learning you will find it too much difficult to understand the working. Some of them are totally confusing and awkward for a normal user. Here is the pricing plan which is interesting for a newbie, but while using you will find it difficult to handle
- You can not change the Mailchimp’s default settings. Like “member ratings” consolidates deliver/open/click rates for each subscriber across all of your campaigns. But if you will try to find an open rate for a subscriber in the past campaigns, it requires quite a bit of digging and time-consuming.
- MailChimp updates its interface and terminology very frequently. Recently they introduce “Audience”. When you will start MailChimp you will learn its features and interface. When you will get familiar with those things, it will blast you with the update and everything will be changed. Changes are good, but not to be too frequent.
Both ConvertKit vs MailChimp is designed for novice startup and businesses like small e-marketing sites, podcasts, blogs, etc. Although both ConvertKit and MailChimp have options for early-stage bloggers. They can provide services to big companies as well. Higher your budget is, Better the services you will get. But ConvertKit is far far better than MailChimp. With ConvertKit, you will easily understand the interface and they also do not update that much frequently. So it is better to go with Convertkit.